The Cancer Data Registry at Princeton has been in operation since 1979. This department has the responsibility to record, in a timely and accurate manner, complete data on all cancer patients diagnosed and/or treated at Princeton. All information collected is treated with the same confidentiality as any other medical record.
The Cancer Data Registry provides significant data that is very valuable for many departments in our cancer program. Physicians use the data to research and compile articles in medical journals and to examine treatment methods and modalities.
The Cancer Data Registry is an invaluable tool for American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer approval and the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.
The Cancer Registry records:
- Demographic Information-Age, sex, race/ethnicity, birthplace and residence.
- Medical History-Physical findings, date of original diagnosis and details of any prior treatment of the cancer.
- Diagnosis-Primary site of disease, cell type and stage of the cancer.
- Cancer Therapy-Treatment directed toward the cancer (surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy and immunotherapy).
- Follow-up-Post-discharge therapy, recurrences, quality and length of survival and cause of death.
This information is recorded annually to:
- Calculate survival rates by site, stage of disease, sex and other variables. This enables physicians who treat cancer patients to evaluate the success of specific treatment modalities as measured by the quality and length of survival.
- Serve as an automatic reminder to physicians and patients to schedule regular physical examinations, thus assuring continued medical supervision of patients who have had a diagnosis of cancer.
- Provide clinical data for quality of care audits to ensure the best care is given to our patients.
- Provide a valuable resource for researchers interested in the causes, diagnosis and treatment of cancer.
- Develop cancer program activities to meet cancer program approval requirements by the Commission on Cancer.
For more information regarding the Princeton Baptist Cancer Registry, please call 1-877-222-78471-877-222-7847 or e-mail us!